Wednesday, September 9, 2009

a lot to take in in one weekend.

A little late this week, but the internet has been spotty and I have been sick. I can hardly believe I have already been here for four weeks!

This past weekend was perhaps the most exciting, intense, relaxing, and interesting thus far. Early Friday morning (6 a.m. early) we left for the south central part of Ghana. We were on our way to Cape Coast and Elmina located about four hours down the coast from Accra.
The first portion of Friday was spent touring the Cape Coast and Elmina slave castles. The Elmina slave castle is the oldest and largest slave castle to have ever been built the world over. Built in 1471 by the Portuguese, it was originally used for trade of goods, but during the 17th and 18th centuries, it became the final destination for many Africans who had been captured and forced into slavery. It was a very eery experience standing in the dungeons and passing through what once was the door of no return. I thought that I had known quite a bit about what occurred in these places, but standing there I realized that up until this point I really had no clue. Being there only gave me a slightly better understanding of the agony and tragedy that was once represented there. Such a picturesque location was a place of so much injustice and cruelty which can be recognized by the still lingering smells in the dungeons where innocent people were held for weeks under appalling sanitary conditions.
The whole experience caused me to reflect on the injustices that are still represented all over the world. Many are disgusted by how cruel humanity could have been to allow such atrocities to occur and yet all of us are guilty of knowingly allowing our brothers and sisters all over the world today to still suffer. I think personally of how I am angered by the things I hear or read about which in reality only let me glimpse at what is really going on. If I am so outraged why I am not doing more to fight against these things? Why do we wait until something has to become such a terrible memory from the past?


After leaving Elmina castle we drove to an almost completely abandoned beach near Cape Coast. Here we found a very tiny resort where it appeared only three people were staying. We all found a hammock to lie in and spent the rest of the afternoon asleep or reading. The place was quiet and absolute paradise, I would have loved to stay longer. While there I was completely blown away by these 7 or 8 year old boys who shimmied up these giant palm trees to find us some coconuts/coconut milk. It was of course delicious and I continued to stand in awe of how high those trees really were and how fast they could manuever up and down them! We finished our day there ordering a small dinner and then leaving for our hotel for the night ( where the shower water was almost lukewarm!)
On Saturday we headed out to Kakum National Park where we were going to embark on canopy walk in the rainforest. This was incredible! The entire walk took place about 40 metres above the forest ground on a wood and rope walkway between seven different trees. The walk was built in 1995 by two Ghanaians and two Canadians with the support of USAID. Unfortunately we did not see any animals on the walk meaning we missed out on the several kinds of monkeys, birds, and reptiles that inhabit the forest. Our time of arrival did not allow us to see any of them. We were however warned that if we did not want to have a large snake fall on our heads, it was best that we not hang on the vines and creepers found in the rainforest.
In the afternoon we hurried back to Cape Coast for a festival (I can't remember the name right now). The city was packed and then the parade began. We somehow ended up in the parade while trying to find an place to sit and watch. Hundreds of people had taken to the streets to watch many of the local chiefs pass through. There were dancers and drummers, and costumes in every colour. I may been very overwhelmed by what I was seeing several weeks ago, but it was absolutely beautiful, and I loved sitting there for those few hours soaking it all in. 
Once the parade had finished we headed back on our way to Accra. I was exhausted when I returned but ended up going out to a movie with Seguah (my roommate), Benjamin ( her boyfriend) and a friend of Benjamin’s, Samuel. We went to see the hangover which just came out in theatres here! It was so strange to walk into the movie theatre, it was so familiar and so unfamiliar all at the same time. It looked and smelled the same as any movie theatre, and looked nothing like the landscape surrounding it outside. The movie was great, and so was the company. I am so excited to have met some really wonderful people here. As we begin to understand how to communicate better with one another, and understand our differing cultures, relationships have grown.
Sunday! We went with our group to the World Cup qualifying match between Sudan and Ghana. Somehow the game only cost us 4 cedis and we had great seats. The stadium was packed with over 40,000 crazy fans, not one of which went without wearing red, green and yellow. There were brass instruments, and dancing in every part of the stadium. It was so loud! The game was quite important, particularly for Sudan as losing for them meant they were out. Ghana won and the place was crazy, particularly because players such as Eissen (Chelsea) had returned to play the game. It was so much fun.
Finding a taxi after the game was not so much fun, and we ended up walking to Osu to find one. Myself and three friends stayed behind to find some food and ice cream before heading back.
This turned out to be a terrible idea, as all four of us have wound up quite sick over the last day, each to a varying degree. We believe it was most likely that the icecream milk product had gone bad, as this is the only thing we all ate in common. Thus far only one of us has ended up at the clinic.  This also why this update is a little late this week!
Prayers please!

Reflecting on the first 1/4 of my trip (crazy how fast time goes!), its quite interesting to read back in my journal and think back to the first days I was here. There are so many things that I needed to adjust to, whether it be constantly being concious of my drinking water source, getting used to the lack of a sanitation system like I am used to at home or eating incredibly different foods. All of these things have become less and less difficult. Doing laundry by hand-actually enjoyable, and finding good healthy foods to eat- possible, if you put the effort in. It has all made me realize that back home we are so blessed with what we have, though in a sense it makes us so much more out of touch with how most of the rest of the world lives. Not to mention, I have been finding out more and more what I truly value when I am required to go without all the things that I think I need but really don't, on a daily basis...

Just a few of my thoughts for now!
(there's a lizard on my wall and I need to go chase him/her away)

love.

No comments:

Post a Comment